Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Home House Project: Green Cleveland


Exhibit: Affordable Housing for the Future
Reinberger Galleries, Cleveland Institute of Art
November 3, 2006 - December 22, 2006

Panel Discussion: Affordable Housing for the Future
Aitkin Auditorium (Cleveland Institute of Art?)
November 3, 2006
7.00 pm

Exhibit Opening Reception
Reinberger Galleries
5.15 pm
November 3, 2006

In 2003 the Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art (SECCA) held a competition based upon affordability, design and sustainability in housing. The open competition drew 440 multinational entries which were based on the typical layout of Habitat for humanities three and four bedroom designs. Then, in an effort to grab more attention to the idea of living in well designed and environmentally friendly homes they published a very pretty book.

Whilst I was away this weekend visiting my family I noticed the above postcard sitting on my mother's kitchen island. "I was saving that for you" she said when I picked it up and waved it about with an inquisitive look on my face. No doubt inferring that I would glance at it and respond with my usual "Oh, yeah, I saw that (insert location here) and am really excited about it."

Well, that didn't happen. I don't know why as the opening is only a couple of weeks away. One would think that the Reinberger Galleries would at least have some notice up. Or maybe E4S, I mean, it is a whole exhibition of 100 sustainable, affordable houses for criminy's sake.

Regardless, the whole thing has me very excited something like this is coming to Cleveland but also really upset that it isn't being broadcast more. Maybe it is. Maybe it lurks in the archives of Green City Blue Lake and I just haven't found it.

What I want to know is where are the 100 award-winning designs from? Are any local? Are there more competitions coming up that we should be made aware of? Who do I go to for answers? Dear God, don't say I have to become self reliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment