Tuesday, October 10, 2006

What happened to Westerville, Ohio?

Remember way back when Westerville, Ohio was awarded a $839,016 2003 ThirdFrontier Project Grant for their 250-kilowatt hydrogen power generator that became operational in November of 2004? I sure didn't until I saw a video on it on the "One Degree" website posted about earlier here. Supposedly this 250KW unit splits hydrogen from natural gas and electrochemically converts it into electricity. Enough electricity to power 180 homes, according to Green Energy Ohio's website.

I am just amazed. First that I don't remember hearing about this. Second that if this program has proved successful why is it not more widespread? Why are there not little hydrogen to electricity generators spread out all around town and villages?
Ohio Fuel Cell Coalition seems to be running a relatively up to date web site (I admit I haven't had the time to fully check it out yet) so apparently similar programs, including the 3rd Frontier program are still active.

If anyone has any useful information they would like to share, please comment or email. I am looking for similar programs or attempts at medium scale electricity generation via hydrogen or anyone who has tries to work with OFCC or 3rd Frontier.

I do not suffer under the illusion that because my knowledge is limited on a subject that everyone else is also unaware so I apologize if I am repeating common knowledge at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment