Friday, January 19, 2007

I once heard the term "bleeding edge"...

and immediately hated it. I don't know if its because I found the thought of taking such a horribly ugly term such as leading edge and attempting to make it even harsher and more strange somewhat abhorrent. Anyway, I think that when I heard that term it was somehow related to "green design", more specifically, alternative energy production.

Not that I heard that term muttered once in Wednesday's local NPR affiliate (WCPN 90.3FM) morning show the Sound of Ideas when the spotlight was on Northeast Ohio's floundering thrust to harness it's potential and dabble in the field of alternative energy generation.

Don't misunderstand, I am all for alternative energy and actually believe that Northeast Ohio has the natural resources, the industrial "know how", the ambition and perhaps even the fiscal means to become "bleeding edge".

I just believe we lack the political will. That's right, I said it, we lack the political will to push forth a conscious effort to accomplish anything so "grand". It may stem from fear of making mistakes, of pushing forward an agenda that others may dare disagree with or perhaps just an utter sense of ignorance related to thinking about the region on such a scale. And I don't want to seem to be pointing fingers, it is just that if "everyone" is thinking that this is such a "great idea" and that it "makes so much sense" and that "it is so simple, it just may work" then why, for the love of all things good, are we still in the "preliminary talking stage".

I don't know why I am so "quote heavy" right now, I think I may just be tired and frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment