Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Why do we do the things that we do and what makes us want to do them so well?

As some sort of galactic and strange continuance of a conversation that somehow has bridged between friends of mine that don't even know each other and seems to follow a temporal pattern of not ever wanting to really stop that eternal question "why do I do the things that I do" keeps popping up. Some people roll their eyes in disbelief when I utter something about "wanting to save the world" or "make a difference" or at least "get a conversation started". Some wonder what past grievance I have done that would render my future along a seemingly altruistic path in a search for atonement. Luckily I have met people who sort of glance at me out of the corner of their eye and stumble out the "yeah, I do too" comment which fills my heart with joy. I love it when I hear that sort of thing.

Anyway, tonight's post will be short, mostly consisting of an interesting article/post from Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless which makes a comment about the need for low cost housing solutions in urban areas instead of the neuvo-urbanesque $500 thousand condo monstrosities that are popping up all over the place (most with such poor construction and detailing that at least they won't be a problem for long) which somehow is an attempt to revitalize a community (statistically with the sort of people that don't go outside of their condo except to get to their car anyway).

Here it goes, read up and ask yourself what YOU can do about it.

I know the typical argument is that these construction projects somehow increase the value of the surrounding property or expedite the improvements of infrastructure which helps out the community overall. I am just going to call Shenanigans on that one and leave it at that. That is a how 'nother argument for a whole 'nother day when I am not feeling so ill and tired.

Tip o' the hat to dear Marjie for the head's up on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment