Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Just a note in passing

Today I had taken a photo of public square (sorry for the bad panoramic, I was jostled during the filming) which had quite a few people enjoying their lunch break. I admit I was rather surprised, I suppose that that many people would be out at one time in Cleveland and that they would be taking advantage of the park.

I was all excited, mostly because with the traffic around public square being so disrupted it actually now functions as a nice public space but also because having a street presence makes a city seem vibrant, alive and important.

One of my cohorts retorted with "Sure, but then they all drive home in their gigantic cars and then five minutes later drive down the block to a grocery store."

While BITTER I could understand where it was coming from. Cleveland doesn't really have the public mass transit a city of it's breadth should and it does exist primarily as a commuter city. However, I was left with this idea...

"Maybe if everyone had to push their car around they would understand the amount of energy wasted in moving it".

That, I figured, was a delightful thought. How about a National Push Your Car to Work day. Who wants to volunteer first?


1 comment:

  1. What a great idea (push your car to work). Of course no one would actually try, but it would make people think a little! I like your blog, very insightful

    ReplyDelete