Saturday, May 19, 2007

Public Square

I just wanted to mention that as Cleveland's Public Square is currently under construction, with Ontario and Superior being all screwed up with traffic being blocked it dawned on me just how wonderfully walkable the square has become. I can quickly cross to the square from Tower City (after arriving on the train) and hustle on over to East 2nd on my way down Euclid without hardly any worry. In fact, I find the whole experience much more enjoyable then it was before all the construction began. It makes me wonder if keeping Ontario and Superior either one way or bus only could connect the entire square into one big pedestrian friendly area with the hope that pedestrian level businesses could move in (similar to the one already existing to the south east of the square - granted some re designing of the surrounding area would be needed) which could help pull more people to the square itself.

That is assuming that Cleveland wants people in it's public square. Who the heck knows what the intentions of anything downtown are anymore? Maybe the shadow knows.

Anyway, just a passing thought I wanted to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment