Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Architectural League - New York Design Lecture Series - online

I suppose the title of the post gives away any smidgen of humorous intent I could twist and divulge here. So, let me recap...

the Architectural League's New York Design Lecture Series is online.

Tom Hanrahan, hanrahan Meyers
Juliana Curran Terian Pratt Pavilion
Thomas Hanrahan and Victoria Meyers founded hanrahan
Meyers in 1987. The firm’s recently completed Juliana Curran
Terian Pratt Pavilion for Brooklyn’s Pratt Institute connects
two existing buildings, Steuben Hall and Pratt Studios, into
a unified Design Center for the campus.

Markus Dochantschi, studioMDA
“The Twist”
studioMDA, founded by Markus Dochantschi in 2002, recently
completed the project “The Twist.” The goal was to turn a
landmarked West Village townhouse into a modern, flexible
home, while acknowledging the building’s historical container
and context.

Yolande Daniels, Studio SUMO
Museum of Contemporary African Diasporan Arts
Sunil Bald and Yolande Daniels founded Studio SUMO in 1996.
Their project for the Museum of Contemporary African Diasporan
Arts consists of gallery, reception, store, and office space in the
BAM cultural district.

Lynn Gaffney, Lynn Gaffney Architect
Tank – Quandt Heyer Roof Project
Lynn Gaffney is the principal of Lynn Gaffney Architect, founded
in 1997. New York’s iconic roof water tanks provide the inspiration
for the Tank – Quandt Heyer Roof Project, a residential roof deck.

Sandra Wheeler and Alfred Zollinger, Matter Architecture Practice
Ecotopiaries
Ecotopiaries, by Matter Architecture Practice, the firm co-founded
by Sandra Wheeler and Alfred Zollinger in 2002, is an installation
created to house the International Center of Photography exhibition
Ecotopia: the Second ICP Triennial of Photography and Video.

I hope you take some time and enjoy some lectures about a fine blend of ideas. I was listening to something on NPR today and someone made a comment about how the best part of the lecture was the public 'Q&A' at the end which I thought was very silly. In my experience as soon as the general public starts talking any semblance of rationality or pertinence goes right out the window. Of course this may be my bitter take on the greater problem of not having enough fine lectures to be exposed too. I know that there is development with some of the current design/educational powerhouses to bring some more fun lectures to the town of Cleveland (hopefully they will even advertise about some of them - I will be sure to share any here that I find out about) but perhaps I want to be greedy. Perhaps I want more. More. More. More.

Until then I will have to be happy with what the 'democratic and participatory internet' have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment