Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Green Architecture is apparent, sometimes obvious, this time wonderful thanks to Mass Studies

Despite all the 'green washing' that one gets to experience this holiday season and the resultant 'funk' I find myself in regarding environmental architecture I was extremely happy to stumble across the Ann Demeulemeester Shop by Mass Studies on the Designboom website. While one could easily argue that the application of "green" building technology is pure applique, I would like to counter with a "Yes, it could only be an applique, but it is a rather sensational one."

Unlike the addition of a wind turbine or solar array the wrapping of the entire skin of the structure seems so integrated, so intentional and so rigorous that I find myself grinning at how the soft skin substance (in this case plantings) so perfectly compliments the soft forms of the building. While I don't know Ann Demeulmeester's work that well, I will probably give her styles a second look if there is a depth of thought akin to her shop in her clothing.

Regardless, I would like to complement the design of the store. Not only is the skin extremely interesting I am so highly intrigued into how the interior spaces are laid out, how movement through is shaped and accomplished by the street to stair to bridge level and then the simple street entrance which I assume wraps you up to the bridge or down from the bridge or someway to get through this building via a series of level changes and thresholds and wonderful interior to exterior or interior(?)/exterior(?) spaces.

If you found that as confusing as I did writing it you should probably just check out the pictures and save yourself some trouble. It will all become crystal clear when you do.

Resources:
Mass Studies Website*

*seems to be down currently.

No comments:

Post a Comment