Monday, April 28, 2008

A good breakfast can tie a whole community together

This past Sunday those wacky kids at Music Saves were DJ-ing at a very special event. It seems those fine people at the Beachland Ballroom have decided to begin hosting a rather fantastic Sunday Brunch.

Over a rather delicious Quesadilla (MarJ had the Egg & Cheese Strata) I had the realization that what really defines an area (to me) as livable is when the there is something interesting to do at any moment of the week. Typically Sunday mornings consist of getting up, walking to the store to grab a paper, reading the paper (paying special attention to Metro, whatever Litt happens to go on about in his column and Feagler's rants about smoking) and drinking all the coffee I can find. However having breakfast in the Beachland Tavern (Cafe?) allowed me to see the Collinwood area in a whole new light.

While my attention towards the area has focused in the past four years that Music Saves has been open (I don't remember being there in the daytime ever before) there has been a noticeable improvement in the area and a growth of small businesses as Waterloo has developed. Already showing vast promise as a semi-dense residential area that supplies entertainment and specialty retail and anchored with access to the nearby interstate the notion of putting down the tendrils of street life (on an early Sunday) made me re-evaluate my thoughts about experiencing the area. Something as simple as having the opportunity of a location to catch a delicious, cheap bite at a time you generally wouldn't expect it (although I do love my brunches and have a handful of favorite places around town) makes a neighborhood feel so much more, well, personable.

It is that sort of character that will hold people in a community and attract new ones which will attract more business which will attract more people. The Beachland has already created the foundation for a lively nightlife, I guess they figured they could re-invigorate the "daylife" too.

By the way, did I mention the brunch was delicious?

No comments:

Post a Comment