Sunday, May 04, 2008

May is National Bike Month

May is National Bike Month and even though we got off to a wet and cold start there is no better time to get your heap out of the garage or basement, check the tires, chain and brakes, wipe off the cobwebs (and pull them out of your helmet) and go see your town or run errands without requiring any of that expensive gasoline.

Here in Cleveland we actually celebrate our own special Cleveland Bike Week (May 10th to May 17th) with a series of events, workshops and gatherings.

Not surprisingly most of the latest hub-bub has been about easier and safer work commuting via cycles. I know that I would love to have a safe and secure location to lock up my bike near where I work downtown. Not only would I save some money by not having to take the bus but I am pretty sure it would be good for me too (although you may argue that I have mild dispersions to doing things that would be considered "good for me").

Heck, if enough of us like minded folk start asking for it, we might actually get heard and someone may think about cyclists next time a public facility or roadway is planned. In the mean time there isn't any reason necessary to go out and have a good time.

Ohio City Bicycle Co-op is having a scavenger hunt May 17th.

And if you commute to work on a bike anyway you may want to check out Paul Dorn's Bike Commuting Tips on safety, security and not being stinky at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment