Sunday, May 18, 2008

Whiskey Island Access Bridge Now Open



I had heard rumors that the new bridge was officially open and decided to bike on over to Whiskey Island, one of my favorite parks in/around the city (once all the dead chad sink) to see for myself.

Apparently I was a day late for the official opening of the bridge but no bother, I will simply relish that it is open, wide enough for two cars to cross in opposite directions at the same time while also having a safe side bridge for pedestrian access.

While I have to admit I am a little disappointed that Burning River Fest changed venue to Nautica instead of Whiskey Island. I fear the reasoning was to accommodate more automobiles, which seems counter intuitive to the whole notion of the Burning River Fest. Actually I am a little saddened by the prospect that it will not be on the banks of a green lake park but rather shuffled off to take place on some asphalt oasis alongside the river surrounding by the empty hulks of our fallen industrial might.

However I do hope that this improved access will attract the people of downtown who would like another glorious spot to enjoy our all too short summers on the banks of the mighty Lake Erie and notorious Cuyahoga River overlooking (underlooking?) downtown. The views from the river portion of the park are much better than what I took from the bridge. Of course you should go and judge for yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment