Thursday, August 05, 2010

Public Square in Cleveland - When we said rats and vermin we meant to say homeless people

Back in 2007 the City of Cleveland banned food distribution by religious and non-profit organizations in it's downtown Public Square stating that the presence of loose food stuffs was a attraction to rats and vermin. The city pressed for the local organizations such as NEOCH (Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless) to coordinate food distribution efforts and chased many non-profit and religious groups from the square. The result was (last I heard) a worthwhile collaboration for outdoor food programs.

I am going to admit that I am a little surprised when Cleveland announces a Farmer's Market in the very same Public Square a few years later. I am all for Farmer's Markets. I love food. I just find the way that the city pushes aside some people and panders to others a little crappy. Perhaps I missed something. I hope I have.

some resources for those too lazy to google:

No comments:

Post a Comment