Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My big expose, Cool Cleveland secretly headquartered in *gasp* Lakewood!

I am sure that there are literally tens of people who actually do read the Cool Cleveland emails they receive in a timely manner. I admit I am usually a couple of days behind, mostly due to all the crap I have to constantly clean out of my email inbox (screen, it isn't physically a box or even a tab anymore, its just a link, so what is that?). So today, when I took the time to read it as soon as it popped in my email (or a few hours later, who is counting?) I thought that the address on the bottom of the email, from Cool Networks LLC looked a little fishy. The street number and zip code did not correlate with the city.

This is what I saw:
Cool Networks LLC / 14837 Detroit #105 / Cleveland, OH 44107
All contents (c)2010 Cool Networks LLC all rights reserved

A quick search on the Google Mapinator lent credence to my accusation that Cool Cleveland is actually headquartered in Lakewood, Ohio. A slightly denser more successful Cleveland (at least I like to think so) that is surrounded by Cleveland (Lakewood's largest suburb) on the East and South sides, has the Great Lake Erie to the North and something on the West that has Mitchell's Ice Cream and Century Cycles in it. It may be a city, I don't know, I try not to pay too much attention.

So what does this mean when placed under the lens of current county wide corruption and conspiracy? Is Mr. Mulready a gigantic liar face? Is there a massive cover-up? Are commercial spaces in Cleveland too scarce to come by for a small start up mass email good news office to find footing?

The answer to all the gripping questions above is most likely a big negative. While it may have been difficult to gain street cred hyping the happenings of Cleveland from the outside (by about two miles and a half if you measure the long way) it probably wouldn't have stopped any readers. So the actual important question is "Is all the deception worth it?"

"Probably not" says the one person I asked. When pressed upon how much that person cared they mentioned "its funny". I don't know how funny liars are to that person but apparently pretty humorous. My own opinion differs, G.W. Bush was a laugh-riot, but I don't think it was intentional, Nixon isn't funny at all unless we are talking about his Futurama persona, which is sort of funny-sad really.

Regardless, what is the value of the Cleveland, not-Cleveland self locating descriptions? First off it really does a disservice to all the intelligent and detail oriented Cool Cleveland readers who noticed the discrepancy. I for one was completely unproductive for at least 4 hours while trying to compute how that address worked (not including blog time). Secondly it mildly mocks the city it tries to support. Being honest would have gone mostly unnoticed, fibbing (or exaggerating) the location lets those same intelligent and detail oriented become online jerks who are now making slightly veiled comments that Cleveland does not support small business like Lakewood does. Thirdly it quite possibly throws the journalistic integrity of Cool Cleveland into question. How do I really know what city or location they are reporting on if it is all one big mess to them? Where will I end up if I follow their directions? In the Lake? In Brecksville? In CANADA?!

I am honestly hoping for a little more thought in my mass emails that I receive and usually don't read right away and I am expecting the good people at Cool Cleveland and Mr. Mulready to oblige. I eagerly await the apology that the fine City of Lakewood and its suburb known as Cleveland deserve.

2 comments:

  1. Who gives a shit. This is the most meaningful thing you have to write about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom?

    Even rhetorical questions deserve to be taken seriously with a proper question mark. Also, lets keep the language civil, the internet is for entire families.

    ReplyDelete