Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Run with that building theme: Cleveland Skyscrapers.com


Yesterday I posted about the Marcel Breuer building that currently resides upon the site for the new County commissioners Administration building. This sparked some discussion today around what passes as the water cooler in the new office (mostly a co-worker's desk where I was sipping from my water jug) about the fate of the Breuer building and what the honest to god proper response should be. At lunch I stared at the building for at least 10 minutes trying to take in the panels, determine the floor to floor height, imagine it cleaned and pristine and as an icon for the city. I still cannot come to a decision on it. Luckily, it isn't mine to make.

This made me start thinking about the city. I love the tectonics of the urban fabric. The size and shape and color of the buildings, how they interact with the sidewalk, how they compress views on the street or create windows and vistas. This is why I studied architecture, because I am geeky about what buildings are and what they do to the world around us.

Imagine my heart felt joy when I stumbled up a site dedicated to
Cleveland skyscrapers. I say stumbled upon because I had seen it before and loved it but put it in a dark corner of my mind only to later resurface in one of those moments that makes me slap my forehead and wonder how I remember to not confuse the order in which people should inhale and then force the air back out again. I felt very dumb.

There are some beautiful images of actual buildings interspersed with some proposed plans and ideas. Not all of them wonderful but some of them (and I was amazed by which fell into this category) made me grin and hope that they get built because I wouldn't mind at all passing them as I traveled around the town.

I love this city, and my passion for it grows each day as I travel through it, noticing some new detail or experiencing some new moment.


Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment