Thursday, October 05, 2006

University Circle Promotion Lit. (Warning: Confusing)


I got this forwarded to me yesterday. I enjoy getting notices about events in the city or little Cleveland-centric websites that concentrate on development and planning and I love tree-hugging/ hippie websites (hint hint hint). Not the patchouli hippie but the tech savvy veggie lovin' bring da noize sort of hippie.

University Circle Inc. (?) or someone hired
Blue Robot to put together some sort of online or cd-rom type promotional media. The company (Blue Robot) looks like they have some of the tech stuff down pat. I even like some of the graphics, however interspersing images of hip and successful areas/buildings sort of gave me a mixed message. I understand "hey, this is what University Circle COULD be" but as a promotional item if I was not familiar with the area I might mostly go "There is no way in heck that [pictured building] is here at the Circle!" or " University Circle looks like Chicago?" and even "Who the hell are they trying to fool by making University Circle look like [insert cool city here]?"

Besides, I have to argue with the mindset of doing what everyone else is doing. This town is bright enough to move in its own direction. Maybe. Probably. I think the trick is to take the successful ideas and model our plan after them, adjust it to fit our scale and purpose. It sounds rather simple but believe me, just try to lay out a logical plan for light rail to connect Rocky River on through to Cleveland Heights and tell me where that gets you. Seriously, try it out.

Anyway, the University Circle thing does look pretty impressive.
Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment