Friday, February 23, 2007

Alright, I admit, this is a loaded topic

A few years ago, back in my youthful college days, I remember watching a delightful romp through the vinyl industries backyard entitled Blue Vinyl. I found the story and film wonderful and horribly amusing as the documentary traces the toxic history and production of vinyl. Since then I have refused to specify it on projects (even getting into wonderful discussions with "green architects" about how even though they thought the product was awful and poisonous, it was affordable, which, I suppose, was their bottom line) and even go way out of my way to mention to developers and builders that I meet just how horrible a product it is. I also think it looks crappy.

So, I admit, I harbor a resentment for the vinyl industry as a whole (except I love records, I must be a hypocrite) and relish when large conglomerate industries (who poison ecosystems and their employees with abandon and then attempt to spin it) get all tripped up in their crazy money making endeavors. Remember vinyl is only poisonous when it is being made or burned/thrown out but totally safe when applied to the outside of your home.

Unless of course your child's lunchbox is made from it.

In a fantastically slanted article from Healthy Building Network entitled Vinyl Institute Defends Lead In Children's Lunchboxes I discovered that LEAD is used to stabilize the PVC in lunchboxes.

I don't want to ruin the rest for you. Or ruin your lunch. You should use an insulated reusable bag anyway, the Velcro tops can really annoy your cube-mates.

No comments:

Post a Comment