Tuesday, February 20, 2007

WalMart wants to win my heart!

Alright, I feel like I am in "Bizarro Land". Mostly because Wal Mart has agreed to not receive the 10 year tax break that the great state of Ohio decided to give to the chain to apply against the city of Cleveland.

I suppose it makes economic sense. Don't destroy the community you mean to have purchase goods from you. But while this not only appears to be a feather in the cap of the chain that for years has undergone scrutiny and become a popular target for concerned citizens it also seems to be a moment of strength for the entire Steelyard Commons project.

I admit while I may not endeavor to support the idea behind the shopping center I will admire their ability to attempt to support the surrounding community which, by the way, is a tenant of what many people would consider "new urbanism" (take THAT Legacy Village).

Now we just have to get on the case of Home Depot and Target to see if they care as much about the community as Wal Mart does. Go ahead, use that exact line. I bet it will make some ears twitch a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment