Thursday, February 01, 2007

ASM, now is your chance to SHINE!

With all the current ruckus about the Cleveland Design District and ASM's moving some offices to said district, one can only wonder if there might be an opportunity to showcase design, production and industrial materials in such a manner as to engage the public.

Granted spatial considerations raise cost concerns and whether a pedestrian intensive area will actually be developed in said Design District could dampen dreams but in my heart of hearts (the very subcockles) I am hoping for some sort of interpretation and/or recreation of what Materia exhibitions are like. Actual material exhibitions where people can touch, examine and feel materials in order to increase exposure and hopefully create more interest in non-standard design techniques.

Granted I could be asking for the all the world with expectations such as this but I honestly see so much opportunity for the city, to become an actual design and material mecca (imagine fostering local industry by showcasing local materials!) that I cannot sit silently by.

I don't know. Is it too much to ask the ASM to stand up for something like this? Is this outside of their purview? Is someone else better fitted to the role such as CSU or CIA?

If you want to showcase the district, I can't thing of anything better then to create something that achieves international attention. Maybe I just don't know how to aim low enough yet but I won't apologize for something as silly as that.

Resource:
Material Explorer a fantastic free online materials resource with tons of great links.

No comments:

Post a Comment