Monday, March 26, 2007

Countryside Harvest Guide - local eating help online

So, I was at Lucky's Cafe in Tremont this last Saturday for brunch (which was AMAZING) and my gloriously wonderful breakfast date handed me a nice little card and gave me that sort of smile that a mischievous child who discovers a secret doles out to unsuspecting adults.

At first glance it appeared to be a quick little reminder about the NE Ohio eat local challenge which I am pretty sure I have mentioned before. Now Lucky's Cafe has a wonderful local food history. They have their own garden next to the business, they are part of the City Fresh program, so it should come as no surprise to find these cards around.

I only bring this up simply because as spring rolls around and we start to wander outside and look at our yards and think of all the possibilities I would suspect that having a little garden might come to mind. I started my tomatoes and lettuce inside a month ago and they are in need of being transplanted outside as they are getting a tad crowded in their containers.

However, if you don't have a green thumb (or any earth tone digits for that matter) perhaps I should mention yet another online guide for you to use. Introducing the Countryside Harvest Guide which now contains a directory online of the following catagories:
Community Supported Agriculture Programs
Farmer's Markets
Local Grocers and Retailers
Local Farms
Restaurants, Cafes and Caterers Featuring Local Food
Artisan Bakers and other food specialtists
Northeast Ohio Harvest Calendar

They plan to soon add an interactive food map, local food shopping list and local food request cards. Now even if you can't grow it yourself you can still eat local, and what is more wonderful then eating?

No comments:

Post a Comment