Wednesday, June 13, 2007

2007 Cleveland Design Competition Winners Announced

Here is the Competition website.

Here is the
Winner's Announcement.

Here is the
Online Gallery which currently only has the winners posted. Word around the kool-aid cooler is that eventually they are going to have them all online.

My quick run-down as I formulate my opinion into actual sentences is such. While some would
complain that only 14 of the 70 submissions were from northeast ohio and fluff over the content and direction as shown I would like to take a moment to just admit that I was very pleased (as a contestant and as a Clevelander) with the variety, thoughtfulness and direction that the competition took as a whole. It was fun ,extremely well run, things went smoothly (even though I never did get my giant novelty check) and the submissions were outstanding. From public parks to giant towers to organic shapes which encompassed most of the west bank the designers involved proved their merit in spades and took on the with tenacity the spirit of the competition.

And while I may not particularly agree with the choices made, I respect the direction that the judges took and do not find fault in their selections and will not second guess the decisions. I will say that there was an amazing level of finesse to a lot of the designs and it was easy to pick out some of the local submissions (I know that I overthought the site - a trap I think many locals fell into). All in all I would call the competition a resounding success and am very excited to see what those kids come out with next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment