Thursday, June 14, 2007

I don't even know anymore

I find it increasingly difficult to be positive lately. I don't know if this is an occurrence due to a multitude of factors or a result of a singular event. What I do know is that it seems increasingly difficult to not walk up to people and slap them in the face.

Daryl Davis sent this to my email, which I appreciate. A nice little account of the Planning Commissions meetings regarding the Breuer Tower. A building that I once intoned on this very internet site that I was entirely indifferent to. Oh, how the world has embittered me.

Now I realize just how for saving that building I am, and not for the reasons that I think most would want to realize.

I think it should be saved if only to prove that the people have a voice, that a concerted effort to speak out against a ruthless and unformulated plan will prove that logic and common sense will prevail.

I think it should be saved because Cleveland has a history. One that is constantly under threat of being torn up to create suburbs, of being emptied to create lifestyle centers, of being forgotten to hasten 'social engineering' and of being demolished to fabricate icons to egos.

I think it should be saved because right now it being demolished for unverified reasonings is in essence the acceptance of a lie. Allowing it to fall is to say that those who can lie, cheat and steal the best should do the thinking for the rest of us. It says that as a city we are all dupes and will accept whatever we are fed.

It should be saved because we don't know what is going in its place. Perhaps I would be more willing to accept the fate of the tower, even though it flies in the face of any logic I could apply, if only there was a semblance of what was to come. Perhaps I fear the bait and switch more then anything. Promise me a green icon for the city and put a parking lot in its place. I almost expect that to actually occur.

It should be saved because a government building has no place on a financial district corner, let alone that particular financial district corner. Personally I think that location was chosen so Dimorra (cheese-steak dangling from the corner of his mouth) could watch an Indians game without exerting himself too much. One would think the County would want a building by all the other federal buildings, perhaps so that they could interact or something. I don't know. Maybe this is the new 'de-centralized de-regionalized regional government' thing that will sweep the nation and show how progressive we are.

I think it should be saved because as someone who was trained as an architect, as someone who hopes to actually make a difference, as someone who attempts rational thinking mixed with empathy and attempts to understand the needs of others, I cannot for the life of me make a good argument to tear it down, no matter how many lunches I spend staring at it trying to figure it out.

No sir, I can't.

Special thanks to Gloria Ferris.

1 comment: