Thursday, July 12, 2007

Organic food news.

New news from the Organic Center, a group with the mission "To gernerate credible, peer reviewed scientific information and communicate the verifiable benefits of organic farming and products to society." arrived the other day and I thought I would pass it along as I found it very interesting.

Organic Tomatoes Found to be More Nutritious.

Organic Production Increases Yields and Builds Soil Quality in Iowa.

Scientists Estimate that Pesticides are Reducing Crop Yields by 1/3.

So, to recap, organic foods are better for you, replenish and are better for the soil they are grown in (at least in Iowa) and by using some pesticides you are actually decreasing your yield.

Like I said, interesting. I always become curious as to how the current system became the status quo and what market forces (to borrow from a conversation I had the other night) are driving these decisions. Is it ease, reliability, cost? What actually hinders organic gardening the most, and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment