Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What you call heritage, I call hypocrisy

Friday, August 31, 2007
Saturday, August 31, 2007
11am - 4pm
Cleveland Trust Rotunda

A while back I had posted something about how the County was unintentionally being ironic when it proposed tearing down the AmeriTrust Tower as part of a 'green initiative'. I got yelled at for that. Fine.

This whole thing makes me think the County isn't only corrupt and ironic but actually stupid.

Building on our Heritage is a celebration of sorts. A celebration of Cleveland's heritage, by showcasing the Rotunda building. A fine structure of historical design that celebrates a 'revival' period (City Beautiful) of Cleveland's history. By mentioning the revival period I am pointing out that the historical classicism of the Rotunda building is inherently false and that celebrating it whilst tearing down a building that properly reflected a current design philosophy and claiming the false one as a 'heritage' makes us all look like liars. No need to expand on that one, I think you understand.

Anyway, you can check out the County's flyer but I already created my rebuttal. I find the premise of the event ridiculous, the fact that it is being held in/near/around the Ameritrust Tower which the County wants to tear down to replace with a building of questionable design and merit and resonates the idea of how buildings can reflect our heritage insane. Downright friggin' insane.

I would appreciate anyone that goes to this mess to actually look around at the fabric of the city in the area and question how they would want their 'heritage' defined. Perhaps even makes some choices on whether you want to be defined by anything on that particular corner and what you may consider 'historic'.

No comments:

Post a Comment