Monday, November 26, 2007

Euclid Corridor, day one


It was cold, rainy and dark so I thought it the perfect weather to go for a photo jaunt with Bradley of the Design Rag to document the first day of operation for the Euclid Corridor Project. I was watching traffic attempt the new patterns from a comfortable office vantage and wanted to see how the thing operated from the street.

First off, I would like to congratulate the city on the sneaky way they are hindering the use of automobiles on Euclid. Seriously. With two main urban corridors (Chester and Carnegie) a block North and South I can understand why the city would want to make Euclid as pedestrian friendly as possible and they did everything short of making it pedestrian only to achieve this. By giving automobiles only one lane in each direction the street seems smaller and more manageable to forge.

Secondly, I would like to huzzah the center bus island stations. Again they work wonderfully as a traffic calming device, they make the street much more pedestrian friendly and they offer amazing vantages of the city while you wait for your bus. I cannot wait for the BTR to be up and running. I am actually excited about public transportation right now.

Thirdly, I didn't see the bike lanes. I hope that they are not shared with the parallel parking lane only because that has proven inherently dangerous for the cyclists. Maybe they just don't reach all the way to CSU.

Lastly, this area of Cleveland looks, well, like a real city. Mix in a good amount of people, toss in some more shops and restaurants and I think we could be on to something here. The street looks so much better than it did a couple of years ago (prior to this project starting), it feels friendly, cleaner and much more organized.

Yay.

resources:
Web Albums of various photos from today

2 comments:

  1. The bike lanes stretch only from CSU to Case Western.

    They remain separate from (and to the left of) parallel parking zones, with a fair amount of space for door zone avoidance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, drat. I just walked from East 9th down to CSU. I will have to set aside some time to wander back down and check out the bike lanes. I get all excited about that stuff.

    ReplyDelete