Sunday, June 01, 2008

The public use of public land, reap what you sow

I remember years ago reading about folks in the UK who would drive around in the dark of night, find some despot of a site, overgrown, forgotten, filled with trash, and then lovingly clean, replant and care for the little oasis. I always found the occurrence scary in a wondrous way. There are so many residual spaces, little areas that are surrounded by public way, confused as to whom has ownership, so they lapse into becoming forgotten hardened dirt, adding nothing to the identity of the area and offering no respite from the hardened facade of the urban jungle.

I was debating with some of the LAUNCHies about the act of Guerrilla Gardening. Surprisingly the few that I talked to about it got all excited and bothered. Some quick research went into the beginning nuances. How best to distribute seeds or plants, what areas would be most beneficial to plant, were we going for a statement, for aesthetics or for balancing the natural order?

We quickly found some rather helpful links, tips and ideas (hint: Google "Guerrilla Gardening").

Then, as some get ready to begin our due diligence I stumble across an article about an LA area Guerrilla Gardener whom has been planting medians with Agave for 10 years, a succulent that has low moisture needs and thrives in the local climate. The best part of the article was that the Superintendent of Grounds Maintenance for the city of Long Beach is rather impressed by the gardeners use of drought tolerant plants and notes that "there is no law against planting on city landscaping, except for ficus tress, who's roots wreck roads and sidewalks".

Not that I want to take the subversive fun out of the act but perhaps this may be a good time for local activists who would like to beautify their cities to start cooperating with local officials to create gardens and local parks (Cleveland already has many programs already with this aim, I will make note of them as I get more information from the various groups - WCPN Sound of Ideas recently discussed how urban gardening may be used to battle the foreclosure crisis). As a renter I do miss digging in the yard. I suppose now I can treat my whole city as, well, mine.

See you on the side of the road with a shovel.

Guerrilla Gardening homepage

No comments:

Post a Comment