Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Detroit Ave. not quite as sexy as Euclid Ave.



I noticed these new articulated buses along bus line #26 about a week ago and tried in vain to capture the image of the articulated older style bus (not quite as fancy and streamlined as those new numbers cruising up and down Euclid Avenue, strutting like they own the place) on my cell phone but darned if those guys aren't too quick to capture. All the photos I have of them on my phone, and I have quite a few, are all cropped in strange places like the bus was streaking out of frame, which in essence it was.

Is this news? I don't know. Gas prices seem to be down and everyone and their mother got $4.5k to put down on some "fuel efficient" jobby (even though the mpg ratings aren't what I would consider efficient, most of the people I know have cars that were too efficient to qualify. Where is our cash money?) . Sure the ratings for walkable cities have been tied to Real Estate values and it is easier to walk when first traveling to an area by bus than by car (since you can hop back on the bus along your path instead of having to backtrack) but is GCRTA really that in tune? Especially as they are planning to cut Circulator Routes and raise fares?

I ask these questions because they haven't been addressed in the weekly RTA emails I get (but don't read too closely so maybe it WAS in there) and I would like to hear reasoning such as "strengthening the main corridor lines to service more people with more efficient vehicles that get not only better mileage but due to passenger capacity and layout can get more people off and on quicker so that funds can be shifted to bringing back heavily used circulators or routes that had to be changed/removed inconviencing the riders who most rely on GCRTA".

That is what I would like to hear or even read. Soon or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment