Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Lake Erie. Just sayin', don't take it for granted.


I remember when a friend visited me from KC, Missouri and we went to Headlands Beach (at the time I lived in Fairport Harbor). When I was in the KC he would get sick of me complaining about being "landlocked" and "missing the sound of waves crashing" and would inevitably shove me in his old Honda and we would go to one of the "lakes" that Missouri has to offer.

To me, if you can see the other side, it isn't a lake.

Well, that point was made pretty clear when my buddy first stepped onto the sand, squinted against the sun and pointed off to the horizon asking "So...what's over there?"

"Canada."

"Yeah, so this is a Lake."

Later on I would have a discussion with a research librarian about why the Great Lakes aren't considered inland seas. I don't remember the reason much anymore. I think it had to do with whether it let out into the ocean and was surrounded mostly by land (lake) as opposed to being salty due to ocean inlet access (sea) although there are exceptions.

Anyway, living on Lake Erie is pretty dang neat-o and it is probably the greatest resources Cleveland has. Going there is free, the view is usually pretty amazing and sometimes just sitting down and watching the world do its thing for a bit is exactly what any good doctor would order.

Yay, Cleveland
-end cheerleading

No comments:

Post a Comment