Monday, September 11, 2006

Once I dreamt I was a teacher...

In fact, before I started the long arduous journey or architecture, I was in fact, actually concentrating on education as my primary major. Things were going swell until I started thinking about having to deal with parents. It wouldn't be the kids that would get to me. It would be lazy and lackluster and self righteous parents that would drive me bananas.

My mother, who is an educator, tried to tell me that parents usually aren't that bad and that you can usually understand their point of view rather easily.

I don't always listen to my mother.

During architecture school I had maybe 4 teachers that really stood out in my mind as "good". One who would give direction but argue with you if you followed it strictly, forcing you to understand more of the intent on why she made suggestions rather then giving you an excuse to mimic what you thought she wanted and float through. I loved that. Two were ingenious in the way that they were contrarians to everything I ever said. They were probably right but back then I just wanted to know why I was wrong and we would argue back and forth, quietly, passionately, like gentlemen. One was bold enough to let us go and do what we wanted, then he would stand and argue for us when we were confronted with other faculty. He wanted us to create an idea and run with it, commit to it, for better or worse take it to the end. No random flipping of the structure to make us rethink program, no sudden improvisation in client particulars that would change the focus, just a slight hand on the reins as we researched and developed our dreams. I had him for at least 2 semesters and they were my favorite semesters by far. If anyone had molded me, or allowed me, to become the person I am today, it was him.

Anyway, they always got me thinking about teaching, about how in architecture you can practice and create but also teach design studio, interact with youthful, innovative, foolish ideas and give something back. Perhaps enough to actually make a difference.

Someday, I do plan on teaching. After I finish my license. After I feel I have that important balance of knowledge and passion, then I will be able to pass something on. Until then I sometimes come up with random lesson plans, try to figure out how to incorporate new technologies and ideas into assignments. Much as I will never stop creating design problems and challenges for myself to solve, I hope to never stop creating them for those imaginary classes that I hope to sometimes lead.

This all bubbled to the top today when I read Those Who Can, Teach.1000 words of advice for design teachers. by Allan Chochinov. It made me sad in that I realized that I am still not ready to teach, but proud that at least I was aware of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment