Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Nov. 24th - 25th: Buy Nothing Day

Well, I already hit you with the National Buy Local Day so I might as well go ahead and mention Adbuster's Buy Nothing Day. Celebrate the busiest day of shopping by not shopping. I know, it sounds counter-intuitive but if you sit and think about it it will make sense. Go ahead. Pour yourself some tea, find a nice comfy chair and sit down. Take your slippers off. Put a blanket on your lap. Breathe deep. Feel that? That is what if feels like to NOT try to push your way through the mindless throngs that will crush up against you as you scamper to find whatever purchase you are trying to make on the busiest shopping day of the year.

I mean, I understand Adbuster's attempt to make a statement about how living in a society that concentrates on overindulgent consumption cannot be sustainable and is rather ridiculous, however for your own sanity wouldn't it be better to just sit at home or go out with your friends and enjoy a day off then spend your day trying to find a parking spot, then find the items you want, then wait in line, then wait in line some more and then go more in debt at the exact same moment most of the rest of the nation is?

That is what I figured. Personally I think I am going to go for a bike ride, take some photos, do a lot of sketching and continue my attempt to re-organize/recycle/donate all my accumulated junk (of which I have no need to add anything to) and maybe make some nice gifts for people for the up and coming holiday season.

So join me in a celebration of sanity. Vote with your pocketbook. Relax your body and mind. Enjoy your holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment