Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Treecycle

As Xmas season comes a hollerin' in, already decorations are going up and store displays are in typical gaudy full force, the "Great Xmas Tree Debate" typically begins anew.

My mother has had, since I was a wee lad, this beautiful conifer in a pot that every year gets decorated sparsely with some lights and baubles and hangs out in the kitchen (where everyone hangs out anyway). I remember another time though, when I would trudge out to a Christmas tree farm with my Grandparents, saw in hand, searching for the perfect tree to compliment our living room.

I don't really remember the exact year my father started buying balled trees and then planting them in the spring but I always appreciated that the trees would live on after the season ended.

Regardless, I am just offering those as options, I know that many relish "the hunt" for the perfect tree and don't really think twice about tossing it out on the curb at the end of the season. Fine. I am not judging. All I am asking is that you take the time to maybe see if your community has a tree recycling program where they can turn those trees into mulch or materials for habitats.

There are many great places to check out for information like this. One of the quickest ones could be Earth 911.org which allows you to find local recycling programs rather easily.

Also, to get rid of those dang packing peanuts you can call the Peanut Hotline at 800.828.2214 to find neighborhood stores that will take them off your hands (hopefully to reuse them).

-tip o' the hat to Marjie for the heads up

No comments:

Post a Comment