Friday, December 01, 2006

Attempting to eat local

So I did attempt to find local food at some stores that I had discovered on Eat Well Guide and Local Harvest but neglected to really think through getting information on what would be available during what months.

Well, I am trying another approach but in the mean time I am finding more resources that will be useful such as Self Sustain'ish', "the urban guide to almost self sufficiency. Topics range from using rain water, to upward gardening to getting rid of slugs and building a solar oven and are organized with topics (acting as jump links) on the left and articles on the right. This text based system makes the entire thing easy to search (thanks to the 'ctrl "f"' function if you own a PC and whatever a mac does, I don't remember anymore).

Now you have something better to look at on weekday mornings instead of checking your office email for the deluge of deadlines that are looming. I am hoping that there will be some more tips on eating local or just growing my own my food to eat that I can use.

I will attempt to discover some more ways to find fresh local winter produce (it is pretty easy to find dried beans, dairy, meat, most anything but fruits and veggies) and share any useful information I can gather.

No comments:

Post a Comment