Thursday, April 19, 2007

Extemp. on "what is a Jersey Devil?"

For all the fans out there in the "blogosphere" no doubt awaiting another nail biting and poignant post I sleepily offer up a short discourse on Mr. Steve Badanes' recent and wonderful lecture at CSU regarding architect's role as builders, teachers and environmental stewards. First off I would like to openly berate those of you that did not attend, if only because it was a nice respite from the traditional pragmatic (d0gmatic?) approach that designers take and may have hearkened back to a time when you (now) fondly remember staying up all night, sneaking (questionable) beverages up into the studio as you attempted to stay awake enough to finalize a presentable thought for your next review/presentation/etc. It may have awoken some dreams that once were held dear and allowed you to justify "wasting" your college experience in an actual classroom instead of going to those great parties that everyone told you you just missed. It may have given you some hope. Maybe.

Things I learned (in no order and probably not in any sort of rationally, thought out manner):
-Utilizing community groups and educational classes as a catalyst to accomplish good, cheap and impactful urban projects that may be an important key for this damnable city.
-"Hands on" IS an extremely overlooked tool for most design schools. Personally I think that many buy into the lifestyle of architecture and design. They want to be known for having thought of something instead of really having done it. There may be a worthwhile way to explore a hands on approach such as Badanes' Yestermorrow, UW's Design/Build Studio and of course Rural Studio that may bring back the joy of creation and wonder to the design profession.
-When in doubt, one should get in there, get dirty and figure it out. There is a vast world of applied research that could explored through construction. I know the world of liability and litigation are fraught with danger and guile but that doesn't mean that prototyping and testing should be immediately thrown out. I understand that there are still some firms that truly believe in building mock ups and models and still "playing" with design but I worry that there are even more who will not exact the impetus needed to further studies of construction, spatial behavior and discovery that invigorate creative thought. I was asked the other night if I thought that working at a certain place made me less creative because I was forced to be constantly pragmatic and vigilant in guaranteeing a product that could be considered the less risk taking, less offensive but undoubtedly a less exciting solution and I had to admit it did. In fact, it took me a while to get back to the comfortable level of not listening to the remnants of past voices that would attempt to tell me what I couldn't do. Now when told that something is impossible I want to know WHY. Prove to me it doesn't work and then maybe I will begin to study why YOU think the way YOU do so I can work on a solution.
-The automotive industry, for ever how sluggish they have become to respond to global environmental and economic dissidence still are way ahead of the traditional design and building community when it comes to use, application and stewardship. Look up some fun figures on building performance and automotive performance and then argue against that.

I could quite possibly go on for quite some time but I am exhausted from the week thus far and would rather let you know that you could watch the whole dang thing right here, eventually.

Which you should do. Because it was awesome. Really.

- BONUS FEATURE -
Watch out for fun quotes, there will be many you will try to remember to impress your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment