Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Required bike parking could pave way for easier commutes

Granted, Cleveland is part of the conglomerate of Northeastern Ohio Cities with the least traffic congestion which may be attributed to smaller population and relatively large existing vehicular infrastructure however as the city looks to reimagine itself and learn to grow I find the discussion of simply concentrating on pedestrian level commuting rather lacking.

Some areas such as
Washington D.C. are looking into legislating minimum requirements for bicycle parking within the city. I know that Cleveland has added quite a few of those black 'U' racks for bikes in the city but there is still something that doesn't seem quite so safe about them yet. It could be a severe lack of cycling lanes (or deficiency in people's driving abilities) coupled with how sporadic the bike parking is (seems unconcentrated and not secure) that greatly cuts into it's use.

I do know quite a few people who bike from the inner ring suburbs into Cleveland. Most of them are blessed with being on the lower levels of a building (most larger buildings make cyclists use freight elevators which must be accessed from a loading dock) and being able to store their bikes securely in their offices.

I am not currently petitioning for a bike rack in my cubicle (although I would be fine if there were one) but if there were bike parking locations, centralized, safe and secure enough that I wouldn't worry about if my bike would still be there when I worked late then I promise you I would ride to work more and would surmise that others would be willing to do the same?

One would think that it would prove economically viable to cater to a demographic that is inherently younger, healthier and more mobile by allowing them to move around in a manner in which they have to pay intimate attention to the city around them. I am actually surprised that RTA hasn't started combining cycling with bus/rapid stations as a way to create intermodal transportation hubs around the city that interacts how public transportation should, by getting large, expensive, solitary modes of transport off the street and instead making it into a public corridor.

No comments:

Post a Comment