Thursday, October 19, 2006

Beer; good for the planet.

Alright, I know I am not the first one to bring this up but bear with me. At dinner tonight I noticed the nice little beer coaster thingy under my beverage stating that the beer of the month was brewed in a brewery run on wind power. The brewery was the Brooklyn Brewery which had been running on wind power since 2003 (I think).

First off I get all warm and fuzzy inside when I think about wind power. I just do. I love the study of aerodynamics and the simplicity of the idea behind wind power and basically how beneficial and cost effective it is. Then, THEN, I find out people are using it to make beer.

I do like beer.

So, who else is using wind power to make beer? Is there a list? Some sort of great "Green Powered Alcoholic Beverages" site? I mean, we have to be able to relax and enjoy the gifts of our wonderful planet once in a while, right?

The best I could do was this article from "Wired" magazine from March 2006. I couldn't find an online list. I have to admit that I am amazed that I stumbled across something that no one made a web site for yet. This got me thinking, "What else is out there?" How about a Solar powered brewery? I'll be danged, Anderson Valley Brewery is using its "solar powered beer" as a huge selling point. How huge? Well, it is right there on the top part of their main page.

Excellent.

So far I haven't been able to find any geothermal, biodesiel or hydrogen powered breweries. I have no doubt that one or two should pop up soon enough. Until then, find some nice eco-friendly beers to guzzle as you contemplate how to save the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment