Wednesday, October 18, 2006

What do you say for Coop?

Wolf Prix Lecture
Wednesday, Oct. 25th, 2006
Akron-Summit County Public Library, Main Library Auditorium
60 South High Street, Akron, O(h)io
6.30pm

The
Akron Art Museum broke ground for the Co-op Himmelb(l)au's [whom I shall now lovingly call "Coop"] long awaited, sought after, exciting, remarkable, unbelievable addition way the heck back in March of 2004. I know, I know, you have probably "googled" it and said mostly "Where the hell is Akron?" or something along the lines of "They are doing that WHERE?" and then stared in awe at the sweeping forms (clouds?), skewed lines, balance of composition and coupling with the existing brick structure and then snorted in disbelief. I pretty much did the same.

I paid close attention to the Gehry addition to
Case Western Reserve University campus, happy that something new and exciting was going up to challenge the local vernacular but also a little tired of seeing the Bilbao Gug. show up over and over again. I know that isn't fair, but I am sure that is what the school asked for, what they knew and what Mr. Gehry had to create to make everyone happy. It is an amazing building, I still look at it and see details that amaze me and for that I can appreciate it for what it is, a rather brave and gallant structure that gives at least a wink to the context without bowing in submission. I know I will catch hell from the "Western Reserve Style Architecture" lovers out there but to be honest, when they start talking I usually hum the Dr. Who theme song in my head and drown them out. Oh, and here is the Peter B. Lewis Building for you to reference.

Anyway, when Case's building was going up all I heard about was budget concerns and civic concerns and concerns about concerns and questions about whether concerns were concerning enough folk. It drove me crazy with concern. I was fearful for any other signature building to be attempted, any other great piece that attempts to blend art and architecture, would be approached with more caution. When the Coop addition was approved my hopes for the region soared. When they broke ground I giggled with delight, relishing that it was "too late now" for it to be changed.

I got to walk through it while it was under construction last spring. Someone took pictures and was going to send them to me but never did. Jerks. Anyway the place was so incredible back then when it was unfinished. Some of the large sweeping superstructure was in place and you really have to see it in person to really appreciate it.


I don't know what you kids are up to later, but if you have the time free around 6.30pm on Oct. 25th Mr. Wolf Prix of Co-op Himmelb(l)au will be giving a lecture. You can download the sweet .pdf right
here. It will be held at the library right across the street and there is a cost. 5 bucks for students and museum members, $10 for the rest of us.

So far I believe that the museum addition is slotted to open in Spring of 2007. Whilst searching for a more definitive answer I stumbled across a little notice about
a little project I got to work on while in school in response to the shenanigans of the Akron Art Museum's addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment